Saturday, October 24, 2009

How can I move my database driven web site from one host to another? I'm using Joomla.?

Basically I am paying for shared hosting and also VPS hosting and would like to move my Joomla site from the shared to the faster VPS so I can cancel the shared hosting. How do I do this without losing all the content I already have? Thanks!



How can I move my database driven web site from one host to another? I%26#039;m using Joomla.?





It is quite simple, if the your site is simple. It might need professional services if the site is a massive portal.



Your new host might provide you a facility for %26quot;Remote FTP%26quot;. If your new hosting guy / VPS guy provides Remote FTP, use this to transfer all Joomla files to the new host.



Then take a MySQL Database dump from the current shared hosting and recreate your database at the new hosting.



This is very smooth, if the environments on both hosting places are same.



For example, If PHP is not compiled properly on the new hosting guy, you might encounter some problems.



If the MYSQL database version on the new hosting is not matching with the old one, the data migration might give some problem.



You can experiment this if you are little technical and understand some database fundamentals. Otherwise you need to seek some professionals help



Ram Kumar



Rhea Knowledge Technologies (P) Ltd



http://www.rheakt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Web Host Helps © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting