Monday, October 12, 2009

Is there a way to host my own website through my own server?

Ok, I want to make a website, but without paying the monthly fee of a web host.



After registering my domain, building my website, and preparing my linux server...what do i do?



How do i put all of this stuff together (domain+website+server) to make an accessible website.



I know webhosts are cheap (and some are free) But i wanna do this for my own knowledge, since i am a computer enthusiast.



Also...when it comes to the server...does processor speed and ram really matter?



AND...how do i determine the %26quot;bandwidth%26quot; after everything is set up. ( like when webhosts tell you that you have a certain %26quot;limit%26quot; of bandwidth, or however many visitors can visit your site.)



Ty in advance...



Is there a way to host my own website through my own server?





Having your own server, powering it 24/7 and maintaining it, plus the bandwidth you need, will cost MUCH more than the $4.00/mth hosting via Godaddy.com would ever cost. ~



They%26#039;ll even supply you with a domain name free for 1 year.



Is there a way to host my own website through my own server?



Yep, easiest way for a very basic user, is to design your website... then drag and drop your index.html file (the main opening page of your website, into this program, which will auto host it...



http://www.analogx.com/contents/download...



Other Replys:Go to website.ws.



Other Replys:you can do that but it%26#039;s not good idea.



depends what you will be doing on website.



Your ISP provider shuts you down if you be getting big traffic



your emails will be blacklisted with most iSP(undeliverable)



Processor and ram, yes they matter, but again, you can do on pentium2 as well as server pc or dualcore pentium, all depends what you be doing on web.



Other Replys:Th e FIRST thing you have to determine is if your current ISP (Internet service provider) will assign you a static IP address.



You won%26#039;t be able to host your website in your own web server unless you have a static address, which is the way you will map your domain to your server. So that%26#039;s the first point in your to do list.



Then, I assume you already loaded your site on your server, so is ready to be used....



And then, the processor/memory will come into the equation when you determine the type of site you are building, is it a very heavy site? (lots of video, graphics and music) or a more static content? also, the number of visitors you expect will factor in somewhere down the line.



Other Replys:It%26#039;s not too difficult. I do it. But I use Linux and it just works out of the box like that.



You either need a static IP or use a service to redirect to you current assigned IP. IP is internet address. Ask you ISP about this and also about reverse DNS.



Say you install Fedora Core 6, it is free. When you install it install the web server and if you want mail do that too. There is an MX and A records from your domain registrar you should look at also. I point these records to my ISP but I think you can point them direct to your machine for name services. Any good linux book should be enough. Windows may work too but I have not got a clue about this. Probably easier but cost money.



The processor speed is not a problem unless you get huge traffic. You share a processor at the ISP with maybe 100 other sites. Your machine served one site and can satisfy your line rate no problem. Use an old 486, it will work like lightening with linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Web Host Helps © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting