Saturday, October 24, 2009

How do I access my linux box from another windows machine via web browser?

I had configured my own linux box and hosted a Java web application using Tomcat server.When I access http://linux_box_ip:8080 on my linux box it works well.Then when I tried to access this application by typing the http://linux_box_ip:8080 in a web browser from a windows xp box, I can%26#039;t access my web application. Can anyone tell me what needs to be configured in order to access my linux box from windows box? BTW my linux ip address is dynamic and allocated by my ISP/cable company comcast. Thanks in advance...



How do I access my linux box from another windows machine via web browser?





On a Windows-only network, Windows runs some %26quot;magic code%26quot; (not DNS and not WINS) internally to match IP addresses to logical names. I don%26#039;t think that connection works across other operating systems, except my Windows machine can see my mac.



Two solutions...



1) From the Window machine, access the web site with the IP address (http://192.168.0.2:8080...) of the Linux box.



2) Define the the Linux IP address in a DNS server, make sure your Windows box resolves from it, and use that logical name in the Windows web browser.



Now, on the chance I misunderstood your question, and you ARE putting the public IP address in place of %26quot;linux_box_ip%26quot;, then...



If the Windows box and Linux box NAT their local addresses through a router...



... and it%26#039;s the same router



Try using the linux box%26#039;s private IP address from Windows. If it works, but the public IP doesn%26#039;t, check the router firewall and default gateway on the Linux box.



... and it;s a different router



Check to see if you have port 8080 passing through the router.



If the Linux box%26#039;s only IP address is the public IP address from your ISP, and the Windows box is on a different network, check firewall settings.



Also, make sure your ISP doesn%26#039;t filter out port 8080 requests through their firewall (I know SBC filters SMTP requests and blocks them, but I%26#039;ve never heard of anyone blocking 8080 - it%26#039;s just a thought - since it%26#039;s a dynamic IP address, no telling what games they play with it).



How do I access my linux box from another windows machine via web browser?



Did you unblock port 8080? Try shutting down your firewall (on the linux machine)(if you are running redhat it would be /sbin/service iptables stop) If you can access it now..problem solved. If you want to access your machine via a domain name, not ip register a no-ip domain http://www.no-ip.com/ (you can register for free).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Web Host Helps © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting