Monday, October 12, 2009

What should I be looking for in a website host ?

I have a few website projects and although I am skilled in programming I am not that well educated on web hosts -- what%26#039;s a good price, key factors in evaluating them.



All 3 sites rely on a large amount of database interaction. Probably similar in many ways to this site.



If you can recommend a good host and informative reasons why, that would be great.



I should note that I intend to use PHP/MySQL , so that needs to be supported.



What should I be looking for in a website host ?





http://www.JuicyHosting.com/ is inexpensive, with great 24/7 phone support, also lets you host multiple sites. http://www.LocoDomains.com is also very good



What should I be looking for in a website host ?



Look for a host that lets you have shell access. Make sure they provide plenty of storage, and plenty of bandwidth as well. But don%26#039;t trust any host that claims to offer UNLIMITED storage or bandwidth. They%26#039;ll cut you off if you use %26quot;too much.%26quot; You also want to make sure they don%26#039;t have any restrictions about software you can run on their servers. You%26#039;ll also want to make sure they give you database access, as well.



Good price varies based on how much storage and bandwidth you want.



I use Dreamhost and have been very happy with them. If you%26#039;re interested in them, follow the link I%26#039;m providing and you%26#039;ll get a bit of a discount- but full disclosure, I get rewarded if you sign up using my referral link =) They%26#039;re not for everybody, but their prices are more than competitive (especially with the discount!), and they%26#039;ve got very un-restrictive policies.



Other Replys:Hosting is pretty competitive, so you a lot of them will offer the same stuff for the same price. One of the more reputable companies is http://www.hostforweb.com



Dreamhost ( http://www.dreamhost.com ) and MediaTemple ( http://www.mediatemple.com ) are also popular, but I have heard things about them overselling their products, and ending up not delivering what they are promising.



If you need serious bandwidth, consider VPS or a Dedicated Server.



Other Replys:Hi MaxManni,



Now you can go for cheap web hosts $50year for 10000mb disk space and transfers which seem good for a month or two and then have alot of problems. This is good for a personal type of website but not business sites.



I use http://www.smiths-internet-services.com.... for my web hosting mainly because they are Austrlian based and have fast response times.



They offer MySQL Databases, PHP, Addon Domains, Emails etc etc and I have never had a problem with them so far.



Pricing from an Australian company will be anywhere between $100-$350 for 200-600mb disk space and 1Gb-10Gb of transfers.



If you want to test them ask for a trial account for one month or send an email to them and test the response times.



Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Web Host Helps © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting